- Home »
Last modified: 27 April 2015
Protecting your privacy
ASTARICKS Pty Ltd is committed to providing you with the best possible customer service experience. This document explains how we collect, use and disclose your personal information and applies to all of the products, services and websites offered by ASTARICKS Pty Ltd. Sometimes, we may post product specific privacy notices to explain our products in more detail. We recommend that you keep this information for future reference.
We provide a range of advertising and marketing products, software and services for commercial and non-commercial entities through our ASTARICKS brand.
Special note about children
The Services are intended for general audiences and are not directed to children under 13. If you are under age 13, please do not sign up for the Services or provide any information to the Services. ASTARICKS Pty Ltd does not knowingly collect Personal Information from or about children under 13. If ASTARICKS Pty Ltd becomes aware that the Services contains Personal Information about a child under 13 that was not provided with parental consent, we will take steps to remove such information and, if applicable, terminate the child's access to the Services. If you become aware that the Services contain Personal Information about your child that was not provided with your consent, please contact us at .
Collection of Your personal information
Personal information held by us may include your:
- date of birth
- current and previous addresses
- telephone or mobile phone number
- email address
- occupation, and
- username or password
We also hold details of your ASTARICKS products and services (including their status), as well as certain details about your personal interests. If you choose not to provide certain personal information (e.g. your date of birth), we may not be able to provide you with the services you require, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves. Occasionally, you may need to provide personal information about other individuals to us (e.g. about your authorised representatives). If so, we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to us and to advise them that we can be contacted for further information (see 'How to contact us' at the end of this brochure).
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, when you submit your personal details through our websites (eg. during ASTARICKS registration) including location, by phone, in application forms or other agreements, or;
- from third parties such as our related companies or your representatives;
- from publicly available sources of information;
- from the organisations identified under 'When we disclose your personal information';
- from our own records of how you use your ASTARICKS services;
- when you visit our websites.
1. Cookies and Applets
"Session Cookies" are used to temporarily keep track of your preferences and selections. These session cookies automatically expire when you close your browser.
"Persistent Cookies" are used to store user preferences relevant to ASTARICKS products and services only.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used to:
- verify your identity;
- assist you to subscribe to our services;
- provide the services you require;
- administer and manage those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- inform you of ways the services provided to you could be improved;
- conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- research and develop our services;
- gain an understanding of your information, advertising and marketing needs in order for us to provide you with a better service; and
- maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems.
Also, your personal information is collected so that we, our related bodies and our dealers can promote and market services to you (including by way of direct mail, telemarketing, email, mobile device notification services including but not limited to SMS and MMS messages). We also put together data from the information we already have about you and your friends or work colleagues. For example, we may put together data about you to determine which products we should show you in your ASTARICKS subscriptions or suggest you tag in the photos you post. We may put together your current city with GPS and other location information we have about you to, for example, tell you and your friends about people or events nearby, or offer deals to you that you might be interested in. We may also put together data about you to serve you ads or marketing promotions that might be more relevant to you.
When we get your location, through the use of our location-enabled products and services, we put it together with other location information we have about you (like your current city). But we only keep it until it is no longer useful to provide you services.
This is to keep you informed of products, software, services and special offers and may continue after you cease acquiring services from us. If you do not wish us, our related bodies or our dealers to contact you to promote and market products, services and special offers to you, please email . When we disclose your personal information in order to deliver the services you require, we may disclose your personal information to organisations outside of ASTARICKS. Your personal information is disclosed to these organisations only in relation to us providing our services to you.
These organisations carry out our:
- customer enquiries;
- emailing operations;
- billing and debt-recovery functions;
- information technology services;
- installation, maintenance and repair services;
- marketing, telemarketing and door-knocking services;
- market research; and
- website usage analysis.
We only provide data to our advertising partners or customers after we have removed your name or any other personally identifying information from it, or have combined it with other people's data in a way that it is no longer associated with you. Similarly, when we receive data about you from our advertising partners or customers, we keep the data for 180 days. After that, we combine the data with other people's data in a way that it is no longer associated with you.
We receive certain standard information that your browser sends to every website you visit, such as your IP address, browser type and language, access times and referring website addresses. We also use website analytics tools on our sites to retrieve information from your browser, including the site you came from, the search engine(s) and the keywords you used to find our site, the pages you view within our site, your browser add-ons, and your browser's width and height. We take reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
In addition, you understand that:
- all personal information will be transmitted to and stored in Australia and overseas;
- other countries may not have privacy laws which are equivalent to, or as comprehensive as, Australia's privacy laws;
- a third party recipient of your personal information may in turn transmit that information to another country in the course of providing the services to you; and
- we cannot control how our suppliers (or their suppliers) will use, store and disclose your personal information.
1.1 You agree that, except as described in this Section, we have no obligation (and our suppliers have no obligation) to hold, export or return your personal information or your other subscriber data during the term of this agreement or following the termination or expiration of your agreement.
1.2 We aim to keep the ASTARICKS portal secure so that your data is not visible to third parties.
1.3 We aim to protect our equipment against intrusions, viruses, Trojan Horses, worms, time bombs or other similar harmful software which may affect your ASTARICKS portal access or ASTARICKS applications, but we do not guarantee protection.
1.4 The security of your information is important to us, but we cannot guarantee the security of any ASTARICKS application or any information or data you send, receive or store using any ASTARICKS application unless we tell you otherwise.
We may include additional or different security terms that apply to a particular ASTARICKS application in the part of these terms that relates to that ASTARICKS application.
You must take steps to prevent unauthorised access to your ASTARICKS account and/or ASTARICKS application, including but not limited to, by not disclosing user names and passwords that we provide you, except when required by ASTARICKS or:
- our authorized dealers;
- our related companies;
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- government and regulatory authorities, as required or authorised by law;
- organisations who are authorized by us to manage our business and corporate strategies, including those involved in a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business (including accounts and trade receivables): and
- organisations who purchase our business or any part of it including a website, and those involved in managing our corporate risk and funding functions (e.g. securitisation).
Help us to ensure we hold accurate information
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That's why we recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your personal information such as your name or address. If you are a subscriber to one of our online products or services, you may change your personal details by using the relevant facility on our websites.
You can access your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let us know. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons.
We reserve the right to charge a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
We will occasionally update this Privacy Statement to reflect changes in our services and customer feedback. When we post changes to this Statement, we will revise the "last updated" date at the top of this Statement. If there are material changes to this Privacy Statement we will notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes prior to implementing the change or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Statement.
Links to other sites
We provide links to websites outside of our websites, as well as to third party websites. These linked sites are not under our control, and we cannot accept responsibility for the conduct of companies linked to our website. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we advise you to examine the terms and conditions of using that website and its privacy statement.
How to contact us
If you have any questions in relation to privacy, please feel free to write to us at or
C/- ASTARICKS Pty Ltd
PO Box 170
Devonport, Tasmania, 7310
ASTARICKS Pty Ltd ABN 50 163 933 471